Monday, August 12, 2013

Last Day in Cusco

Our last day in Cusco had a bit of everything -- tourism, meetings, shopping, eating. We began with a quick visit to the Cathedral, before the holiday mass started. There is a painting inside that is the Andean take on "The Last Supper." Jesus still is having dinner with the Apostles, but the main course is cuy (guinea pig). No photos were allowed, or you would have it. You'll have to take my word that it was fabulous.

Then we headed over to another market to pick up some other items for the activity centers. As we ran through, I also bought a few little things for my colleagues and teammates back in DC -- llama pens and llama keychains, and a few embroidered belts. Literally, five minutes as we rounded a corner. Aside from the paintings I bought the first day from the young Quechua woman and her family, I had no time to shop in Cusco except for work. And that's OK.

 I also managed to get my photo taken with a lady and her two llamas. I love this -- now what doesn't belong in this photo? I've told you all how I stick out on most of my travels, but now you can see it for yourselves.

We then started bouncing around meetings. First was with the Mayor's press secretary. She was giving us copies of the promo footage for the last two years of the Inti Raymi festival. We also saw work that she's doing now herself to document traditional dance and dress. It's really stunning. I think it would be great for the activity centers to have. We'll see.

Next, to the Museo Inka, for a meeting with the director, because we'd like to borrow a few of their objects for our exhibition. I had a great tour, and then we went to lunch.

 The restaurant we had the beers at after Inti Raymi? That's where we went for lunch. This is part of the incredible Inka wall at the back of the restaurant. 

Then, back to the museum to photograph a couple of the objects that we'd like to borrow. I wanted to post the photos, but since no photos are allowed in the museum and I had special permission to take them so that we could submit the loan requests, I won't. 

 I will post this one though, which shows the extent of the Inka road system (and the Empire) at its height. The four colors represent the four regions, or suyus. Red is Chinchaysuyu; green is Antisuyu; brown is Collasuyu; yellow is Contisuyu. In total, we're talking about 24,000+ miles of roads that span more than six countries today. The equivalent area? Florida to Washington State. Really.

Mid-afternoon we were back at the hostel to begin packing. I bought newspaper and tape so that I could wrap the purchases for the museum. But first, I photographed everything. Just in case something happened with luggage, and because when you're buying from street vendors you don't usually get an option for a receipt, I figured I would need these photos for my travel voucher, to prove that I'd spent the money as I said I did. I also wanted to send them to the ladies in the centers so that they could see what I was doing. (Yes, my plan worked.) Anyway, here's a sample.

 Traditional girl's (above) and boy's (below) clothing from the Cusco area. We have the Spanish and Quechua words for everything too. They are all hand-done. Beautiful, no?

 These hats are called chullos, but these are really fancy chullos, with the tassels, pompoms, and extensive beadwork. They are HEAVY. And gorgeous.
 Some of the really high-quality textiles we bought. The smaller on the right shows all the natural colors of alpaca wool. I love that blue-grey. The more colorful is the dyed alpaca from what the ladies make.
 A very colorful poncho and chullo set.
 Traditional bags for carrying coca leaves. These are hand-woven on a loom.
 These blankets are called manta and are used for carrying children on the back.
 The Sunday market finds. Wooden qeros (drinking vessels), bronze llamas and figurines (those show the condor (heavens), puma (earth), and serpent (underworld)), and some "gold" llamas and amulets.

 Sandals made from tires. Excellent example of recycling and using what you have. I really love the plastic flowers on the girls'.
 Cuyes wearing chullos! Are these not the cutest stuffed guinea pigs EVER?!? They are made from alpaca and so so soft. Because they have been everyone at the office's favorite, I have a sneaky suspicion that next year I will need to pack an extra bag in order to carry back dozens of these little guys....
 The one thing I was told I could not return without! A stuffed llama/alpaca made from alpaca.
These were an awesome find, along a highway. Little pouches of dried corn, potatoes, grains, showing different types, and with the Quechua name attached. Sadly, these got confiscated at customs. 

Then, another meeting with the Mayor's staff, catching up on last items. And then, we had dinner at one of our consultant's houses. He and his family were such phenomenal hosts. They had invited a number of archaeologists (and I was introduced as one, too). They made roasted pig, potatoes, tamales, and more. It was way too much food, but incredible. And such a lovely way to end our visit to Cusco. I do hope I get to see him again.

And the next morning, off to Lima.


No comments: