We navigated the Inland Sea by night, so really never did see it. Actually, we did most of the navigating at night, so missed most of the scenery. That's great in some ways, too bad in others. I really enjoy watching the coastline go by, and the Inland Sea is supposed to be spectacular. Oh well. I'll have to go back.
Our first day of rain came with our arrival to Hiroshima. Somehow I found that consoling and appropriate. I didn't have the meltdown here that I did in Da Nang though.
We started the day with two lectures, then had an afternoon visit to the Peace Memorial Park & Museum. Our guided tour of the park was greatly shortened by the rain.
This was the Industrial Promotional Hall, now known as the A-bomb dome. It's the only building that withstood the atomic explosion, so it has been left as a memorial. It is a World Heritage site.
Inside the museum I saw some chimneys that also had survived. They were round in shape, and there is a theory that the form of such buildings enabled their survival in the concussive explosion. I don't have enough physics to argue it one way or the other, so I'll go with it.
Like many temples, there is a bell that you can ring.
We heard a lot here about the story of the paper cranes and their significance, coming from one little girl's fight against leukemia from radiation sickness. Folding a thousand cranes is supposed to grant you a wish by a crane. There is a section of kiosks in the park, many of which are filled with colorful scenes made from paper cranes, such as this. School kids often donate their thousand crane strings here (called Senbazuru) in a wish for peace.
The museum in the distance.
Those who wouldn't let the rain stop their visit.
Another part of the memorial. I felt horrible thinking this, but I could not stop (and still can't) the recollection of covered wagons every time I saw this sculpture.
There were no flash photographs allowed inside. I didn't really want to photograph at all inside.
Overall, I thought the museum was well done, if dense and formal and rather monotone. It is a memorial museum though. It had a lot of history, including Japan's early conflicts. It used a lot of media. It talked a lot about the technology. And in the second part it didn't shy away from the effects. There was some criticism about Japan not taking any responsibility for their part in the war. I understand that the museum will begin some renovation work in August.
There was free time in Hiroshima for the late afternoon and evening, as the ship remained docked overnight. But with the rain, everyone retreated to the ship. I'm sure some of the crew went out that evening though, as they don't often get such a break.










No comments:
Post a Comment