I spent the week running around the city after class, trying to see what I hadn't yet seen and doing the shopping I wanted to do for the holidays. I also had dinner plans with my friend some evenings, and we were making excursion plans for my last weekend. Needless to say, it was busy. This was certainly not the relaxing vacation I needed, and school absolutely complicated that in many ways that I hadn't anticipated, but I did an awful lot of things that I wanted to do, so no complaints.
These tiles were part of the sidewalk in the area of town where I was living. Distinct to the Eixample area, they represent the area's design. This was the expansion area of the city, formerly a military region, and the blocks were on a set grid, but with the corners cut off so that buildings had views to the central plazas. Always made crossing streets an interesting prospect, but it did open things up. Besides, I just like signs and tiles.
I have no idea what this building is but I liked the detail and elaborate nature of the carvings. People work here!
One of the streetlamps on Passeig de Gracia, the street where several of Gaudí's residential buildings are found. He designed these lamps/benches too.
These are the sidewalk tiles in the neighborhood, also designed by Gaudí. I miss it.
This is the famed Palau de la Música Catalana, where my colleague and I saw the flamenco show that first week. It's a remarkable building. It was just around the corner from my school, so I often walked past it during morning break. The Catalans love the story of St. George and the dragon!
Designed by the same architect as the hospital, it has magnificent glass and tile, and is the only European music hall with natural light.
Originally on this site was a monastery. It's hard from the outside to know how beautiful this building is, and I'm really glad we went in and saw a show.
There's also a chocolate museum! That was fun. I loved their entry system (small bars of chocolate with national flags, so that when scanned, they have tracking data for their visitors' countries of origin) and the numerous models made of chocolate. Of course, they had one of my favorite dragon!
Scenes from Don Quixote, famous figures, and famous landmarks were there too. My past life....
And lots of real information about the history of chocolate and the processing as well. I really liked the panels devoted to the Spanish innovator chefs who have changed the world with their pastry skills.
That same evening, while wandering the neighborhood La Ribera again, I finally stopped at the Basilica, Santa Maria del Mar. I'd been told I couldn't miss it, and it was spectacular. It's touted as the city's favorite church, and one of the best for concerts.
It is purely Gothic, which is unusual. Church styles often are blended because they take so long to build. Somehow, this one was done incredibly quickly--just 55 years!
It really is beautiful. And yes, I had amazing weather. I didn't need even my windbreaker until the last few days, and I think I only had rain for two days. Remarkable.
This was my school. I left here one afternoon and headed for....
the famed La Rambla, always bustling with people. I then went to the other building I'd been wanting to see, which wasn't even on the tourist loop last time I was in the city (next post).
I had a bit of time after, so I cut back up from the water. This big kitty is by Colombian sculptor Botero and is over in the Raval neighborhood.
I was making my way to the Museum of Contemporary Art. Sadly, their Alexander Calder sculptures were not on display, but I spent an hour wandering the galleries. I'm a terrible contemporary art museum-goer, but I really liked this installation on one of the walls.
I was having dinner that evening with my friend at the local Moritz Brewery, making a bookstore stop first. We'd been by the museum numerous times from the office, so I knew I was close. Well. It should have taken me 5-10 minutes but it took me 30 as I discovered all kinds of new side streets. Complete failure of my sense of direction! But I made it and while we didn't have a brewery tour, we did have a fun dinner. Then we wandered over to the Barri Gòtic (Gothic Quarter) for gelato. It was fabulous gelato, but maybe if I weren't so tired already and we'd not taken the craziest most indirect route to the shop..... Again, part of our (apparent) master plan to foul up travel. In any case, it was great fun and I wouldn't trade a single adventure.


















No comments:
Post a Comment