Friday, January 8, 2016

Eastern Shore

One of my lessons learned from Alaska is that I have to get out of the city more. I have to resign myself to getting a car and driving sometimes. I was really glad that I'd already scheduled this getaway to the Eastern Shore for late October. 

 And Halloween spirit abounded in St. Michael's! I was based here and loved it.


 First day, I went to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, which was a blast. I quite literally spent all day there. This lighthouse was relocated when its demolition was threatened, the site was a former cannery and seafood packing house, boat repair and building happens onsite, and there was a harbor cruise, where I was the only passenger so had the full attention of the guides and got to hang in the pilot house with the captain. It has the world's largest collection of Chesapeake Bay boats, and through 35 buildings, tells the story of the region's geology, ecology, and social history. It's very worth it.
 I then drove to the end of the road on Tilghman's Island, and watched the sun set. Ahhhhh.
 Next day I headed to Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, but I missed the turn. So, I just kept going! Assateague Island National Seashore was my other goal so off I went. I started with the dune walk.
 Which is beautiful! And there were signs of the horses. Unfortunately, even though there had been a frost, I was eaten alive by something on this trail.
 But it was pretty.
 From there I went to the ocean side, to walk the beach for a while and listen to the waves. I found a whole whelk elk case, still with the baby whelks inside. I've never found one this intact before. And horseshoe crab shells. It's been a while since I've found a live horseshoe crab.
And a hermit crab! This one was alive and not happy that I'd disturbed his hiding place. 
So lovely. I went to the Bay side, which was much calmer, but not nearly as fun. Although watching the two windsurfers was fun. So I went back to the ocean side.... 
And found this little crab. Well, he didn't mind being picked up. 
And then I saw the horses as I was getting ready to start the drive back. They run wild on the island. I was surprised - well, maybe more disappointed - at the people and how close they felt they had to get.... 
Pretty ponies. 
 Next day was Blackwater. I've read about this place and have been wanting to go for a long time.... It's so beautiful!
I walked several trails, including the long forest trail, where I was promptly attacked through my shirt. Wow, my shoulders were a mess. 
 There's also a great driving trail that takes you through the marshlands. I had beautiful weather!
Cattails abounded. 
Yes, this is a real sign. The Delmarva squirrel is a great big squirrel. They were recently delisted, I think, and I saw several of them in the park. 
Lots of wildlife was out taking advantage of the beautiful day. 
And just when I was lamenting that I hadn't seen a blue heron..... I was able to just sit and watch several of them fish. There were a number of bald eagles about too. It was great. But next time I go with someone so that we can kayak.  
Sadly, the next day was time to go. I went for a long walk before heading back. And found this snake in one of the parking lots- yikes! He wasn't there when I came back....
Sunrise at the lodge. The few days had been incredible, just the relaxation and mind resetting that I needed. The drive back to town was fine until about 20 miles out and then it nearly undid all that good work. 

But, good things were planned. Kelly and Bree were coming to town just after Thanksgiving, and we took advantage of the good weather to visit both Patuxent National Wildlife Refuge and Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. Despite the season, we found everything on the scavenger hunt list at the refuge! Now that I've got my guide certification in progress, it's good to have folks to practice on, and I'm grateful they wanted to go and were willing to let me play. More next time! Kelly and I are hoping to do something quarterly now that things have settled down a bit in both our lives.

Then for December it was off to Winterthur and Longwood Gardens, north for the holiday, then to Bogotá for New Year's. 





No comments: