Sometimes plans work out and sometimes they don't, especially with travel. I had a day in Seattle because the ferry leaves very early in the morning. I had hoped to see my cousin like last year, but schedules were not as conducive this time. I have two friends in the city as well; one I couldn't find an email for and I never did get on Facebook to connect with the other. But I'll be back, so next time! It wasn't 24-hours but it was a beautiful day in the city and I enjoyed it.
On the train between Portland and Seattle. It's not quite 3 hours and is a beautiful ride.
My hotel was in Belltown, so I could walk all kinds of places. They sent me over to the market for lunch. Ack, so many people!
In fact, too many people. I love to wander markets, and Pike's Place is an excellent one. But when I can't actually look at anything because of the crowds, I can't stay. there But the lunch place was excellent, and they set me up in a little corner with a view of the water.....
So then I wandered. I walked along the water, then went back to the hotel for happy hour. The Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum was open until later, so I had time to wander the Seattle Center for a bit too. Maybe someday I'll go up the Space Needle.
The museum is pretty spectacular. I love glass and I respect those who really can work with it. Dale Chihuly was a pioneer, and there are certainly those who don't care much for him. But I like his work and the attention he's brought to this art form. This is from the Glass Forest.
I really liked his Northwest Room, where his influence and inspiration comes from Native basketweaving.
"Stacked" baskets. LOVED these.
Combined with real baskets.
Octopuses!!! My favorite in the Sealife Room. Of course!
Part of the Persian Ceiling. Really, the colors are extraordinary.
This room is Mille Fiori and it's a long room of glass garden "plants".
Ikebana and Float Boat. I liked the boat better.
Some of the sketches and concept drawings. I thought these were just as fascinating.
Chandeliers were nice, but I really liked the Macchia Forest.
What beautiful color.
In the Garden. I really liked the juxtaposition of glass forms in and among the planted gardens.
Stunning.
Blending with the iris.
In the Glasshouse. These were huge.
And in the shop you could buy real Chihuly glass. This was my favorite, but I didn't have a spare $7,500 with me.
The hotel was really nice; I was sad to be there only one evening. But I was also so excited to head up to the islands.....





















No comments:
Post a Comment