I went to the San Juan Islands for the Marine Naturalist Training Program at The Whale Museum. The San Juans are renowned for their marine life, particularly the southern resident orca community. Normally the program is a weekend program over the course of nearly two months; but this one-week intensive summer program made it possible for folks not from the Puget Sound area. And I think there were five of us -- including one from the Netherlands -- taking advantage of that. Overall, we were a class of 23, with a great diversity of backgrounds. I made several wonderful friends during that week, and I miss them already.
Small but charming, the museum has a ton of information and does a lot with the local community for scientific research, outreach, and general interest. I did most of my practicum hours here as a volunteer.
Courses varied, from whale biology, pinnipeds and mustelids (seals and sea lions, and otters), geology, acoustics, tidal zones, birds, salmon, and more. In many ways I would have loved more science. But, I may have been the most science-oriented person in the class. Some knew more than I on local species, and I think everyone knew more than I about identifying these specific whales. That's part of the fun.
But we also had field trips, which make a big difference to this kind of learning. One day we went to a very special kind of salmon hatchery. Above is the holding pond; this is where they "milk" the salmon.
Here's where the little salmon (fry) grow up. Salmon are in big trouble in Washington and Oregon, legacy problems related to dams, poor aquaculture, agricultural runoff, and other pollutants, for the most part. And if the salmon aren't healthy, then the resident orcas aren't healthy. In fact, aside from a few who caught a glimpse of a fin out a bus window, my class did not see them AT ALL. This is highly unusual this time of year, but reflects well that they chase their food. And that they are endangered.
Fascinating setup.
And the hatchery was over on Orcas Island, so it was really nice to take the ferry to another island and have a different perspective. Orcas was pretty and next time I'll get over and do some hiking and exploring.
Another day we went to one of the rocky intertidal areas during low tide. SOOOO different from east coast tide pools! I'm used to clam and mussel shells, green seaweed, small crabs, maybe horseshoe crabs and the occasional jellyfish. Not bryozoans on brown kelp. Cool!
And BIG jellyfish! Believe it or not that is not me holding it.
There are multiple types of kelp, like this two-row kelp.
A pair of bald eagles watched us for a while.
Sea anemones! I'm not used to seeing those either.
And goose barnacles. We found one rock where, on one side toward the top, it was covered with goose barnacles. On the other side, toward the bottom, were rows of limpets. So that one rock gets completely different tidal action creating different ecological zones. Fascinating.
Ah, bull kelp. I've seen this in Alaska. In fact, I've eaten it there too when the naturalist pulled it into the boat. (Actually, the same naturalist guide who told me about the San Juans and with whom I got to catch up while in the islands. Although I had to take a raincheck on the kayaking, boo.) That bulb is the float, which, thanks to carbon monoxide, keeps it near the surface, enabling all those fronds to get sunshine and photosynthesize.
Clam.
And the best find of all -- a chiton! That I did get to play with. One of those ancient creatures that just blows my mind.
This was not a molt but a dead crab. I found a dead hairy helmet crab too.
Another field trip had us out on a boat. No whales, but a couple of big bull sea lions (one rather wounded- propeller? miss by a transient orca?) and many harbor seals out on Whale Rocks. But it's still always a good day when you're out on a boat.
Our first field trip was out to Lime Kiln State Park. This is one of the best spots in the world for viewing the orcas when they come through the Haro Strait, because it's very deep very close to the rocky shore and so the orcas are often very close. I heard enough stories and saw enough photos and film footage that I think I believe them..... :)
Several of my classmates and I went there in the evenings after class, bringing food and hoping for whales. We always enjoyed the sunsets and the company.
I'm fascinated by these madrona trees, which were losing their leaves now because their new leaves were coming in. They have this red peeling bark and are just beautiful.
And the evening light was spectacular.
As usual, class went by too quickly. I stayed a couple of days in Friday Harbor because I wanted to complete my practicum while I was there, which I did at the museum and on the Washington State Ferry.
So now I am officially a marine naturalist for the Salish Sea!
I can't just move there yet, but I'm plotting my way back, thinking about some temporary and part-time projects. With luck, I can keep connected from the east and spend some time there each summer, renewing my knowledge, keeping contact with the wonderful people I met, and helping others learn about and appreciate this remarkable place.





















No comments:
Post a Comment