I do listen, really. And when three people last year with my Alaska trip told me that I needed to see the San Juan Islands, that they might be the perfect place for me, I heard it. So when the museum there had a course I was incredibly interested in, I signed up. And so in July, off I went.
An incredibly beautiful day for flying! I never have the window seat.
What I think of as basin and range. So beautiful.
And we came in to Oregon over the Dalles, following the Columbia River. Stunning.
I started in Oregon, with three fabulous days visiting Kati. We walked in the mornings and then watched the Tour de France while she worked. In the afternoons we went out. Day one was wine tasting. Spectacular day. And now I had wine to carry with me too.
Day two was the Oregon Zoo. We caught bat feeding! That was really fabulous. Well, once the first wave of kids and people left the space. Melon and bananas were the top choices. I like bats, but this was remarkable for really being able to see how their front claws work as they climb and to see their skill. It's a really well-constructed exhibition.
Day three was Saturday so field trip! She's out there, we knew it. Maybe with patience....
Mt. St. Helens! That was fun. The interpretive center is good. We saw a few films, got to jump up and down and see how much 'earthquake' movement we could register, and feel the vibrations from all sorts of events like elk crossing and helicopter landings. Then we heard a ranger talk and then started hiking the path.
It really was a pretty day, and the trails were good.
Sadly, three days goes quickly. But we have a long list of other places we need/want to go together, so the adventures will continue soon. It was a phenomenal way to start vacation.









No comments:
Post a Comment