Before summer arrives in all its humid misery, I thought I'd share how glorious spring can be here in Washington. The blooming of the cherry blossom trees is an annual rite, and also marks the beginning of tourist season. Most people know of the trees along the tidal basin, and for sheer numbers, they are spectacular. But there are actually trees all over Washington, making it easier sometimes to see them while avoiding the crowds. I'm not really complaining--all those tourist dollars do help the local economy. But I walked in to work early one morning during the peak season, hoping to beat the tourists (and get to work on time!). It had been a couple of years since I'd been down there, and it was worth it.
[Trees along the tidal basin, with the Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial landmarks.]

[This lovely weeping cherry is actually on the corner of the National Air and Space Museum, directly across from my museum.]

Many of you know that while I love flowers, tulips are my favorite. Color doesn't matter, the diseased tulips with frills or not, I'll take them all. Thanks to Ted for informing me of the National Tulip Library, along the tidal basin! As you can see, I was early, but there were some tulips trying desperately to bloom! They're stunted by the still chilly evenings, but that was fine by me.


Too bad we often only have two or three weeks of true spring here!
1 comment:
Aaah - when I see pictures as lovely as yours, it makes me miss living there even more! ~ Kelly
Post a Comment