Saturday, May 31, 2008

WHERE are you going?

I admit, I'd never heard of Roberval airport. But it's rather disconcerting when the gate agent for Air Canada doesn't know it, the immigration officer in Montréal doesn't know it, and, perhaps worst, the connecting gate agent doesn't know it! I don't like to fly, and I knew this meant I'd be having an adventure.

On Kodiak Island several years ago now, I was unhappy to learn that we had the "big" plane, the twelve-seater! We had to climb onto the wing and through the pilot's window to board, because of all the gear in the back. But it was an incredibly beautiful flight. I tried to keep this in mind during my four-plus hour layover in Montréal. By now, I knew that there was no big plane here—this was a four-seater. A true test for me. I just kept thinking about the museum's mission and the blessing I received by the Shuar representatives a few weeks ago.

Much to my surprise did I see about ten people waiting at the gate! We did have the big plane—it could hold fifteen. The plane is run by Air Creebec, and couldn't have been more perfect a sign for me. This company is wholly owned and operated by the Cree Nation of Québec. Although there was much more sway and jounce than I like, it was a lovely flight over incredibly beautiful country.

I did take the small camera, only to find that its days had passed. No images at all, just black screens with red streaks. I don't think I want to share those. So I'm sorry to say that I can't show you how lovely that area of Québec province is. Or the museum. Or Lac St. Jean. The best I can do is show a map from the museum's website, that gives you an idea of where Roberval and Mashteuiatsh are, and the link to the museum's site for more information. This was terribly disappointing.



http://www.museeilnu.ca/

The trip itself was terrific. Two First Nations communities, Mashteuiatsh (part of the Ilnu Nation) and Kitigan Zibi (part of the Anishinaabeg Nation) are joining with several universities to apply for a grant from the Canadian Government, and want the museum to be a partner. I was there to see what they were interested in having from the museum. (Now it's up to my director to determine our commitment.) I'd had the honor of hosting members of the Mashteuiatsh community, including their chief, at the museum last spring, when they came to visit the boulders that come from their community and serve as the grandfather rocks on the museum's grounds. So it was wonderful to see familiar faces.

It was also wonderful—and frustrating!—to be immersed in French. Wonderful to hear the sound, and feel the links coming back. Frustrating to be unable to communicate. I kept getting words in Russian (which happened frequently in Mexico, too), and phrases routinely came out of my mouth half in French and half in Spanish. So I've bought some workbooks and review, and will start to try to get both of those languages in better shape. Good for me, my other two French-speaking trips are next, before I start any Spanish trips. Maybe my brain will figure it out....

The last day of the meeting was a community gathering, and a traditional meal. These are always wonderful experiences. On this trip, I had two new foods: goose and moose. And I honestly can't say which I liked better, they were both so good. We also had walleye, another staple, which I love.

Our flight home was delayed, as the plane comes in from Chibougamau, and was delayed by high winds. Great, I thought. But aside from the takeoff and landing, this flight was smoother than the one out. And just as lovely.

This was a trip that reminds me of why I love my job. Good thing, as what followed was two crazy days in the office, doing follow-up from this trip and prepping for the first venue of the community connections project. Very early tomorrow I'm off to Reno. We bought a new small camera last night, so I'll try it out in Reno; I'll take the big camera with me next weekend when I leave for the Europe, and Greg will take the small one when he heads over. I'll think of my friends in Flagstaff and Tucson as I run through the Phoenix airport, tomorrow and Wednesday!

No comments: