Friday, July 11, 2008

Biking in Malcesine

While I went to Paris, Greg went to join a friend and colleague of his in Italy, where they were going to bike the Alps. Many of you know, I was not especially keen on this idea. It wasn't the climbing that bothered me, but the downhills. I watch the Giro d'Italia and the Vuelta a España, and of course the Tour de France. I've driven some of these roads in the Midi-Pyrénées, the Pics-Noirs, in France. I didn't like them in the car, but Greg wanted to do them on a bike. Well, he supports me in all my travels and schemes, so I didn't feel that I could deny him what he wanted to do.

I offered him a "guest spot" on the blog, but he didn't want it. (Those of you who know him are stunned, I'm sure.) So, this may be his trip and these may be his pictures, but it's my blog, so now he's stuck with my commentary and photo selection. And so are you.

Malcesine (try: mahl-CHEZ-e-nah) is in the northern part of Italy, in the southern Alps. Greg loved it, and really wants to go back so that he can show me. (It's my family that's Italian after all, even if they're from the other end of the country.) Hopefully these images will give you a little sense of his fun and excitement. As it turns out, the biking was harder than he'd expected, and I'm sure that wasn't helped by the fact that he was getting over a cold. So he didn't do quite as much as he'd anticipated, but he enjoyed himself quite a bit. (I'm also sure that nightly Euro 2008 in the plaza on the big screen didn't hurt that either.) I'm proud of him for pursuing what he wanted, and glad he's back to share this with all of us. Even if he didn't get to bring back cheese.


The view from the hotel, across Lake Garda. It was quite foggy most mornings.


Here he is! Proof that he did the climb. (So photo by Tom.)


Greg didn't actually bike this road, but the group thinks that Tom did.


Yes, the town has its own castle. Sorry, but that's about all I can tell you about it.


Malcesine has its own cable car system to the top of one of the mountains.


From the castle tower, looking out across the lake and town.


An homage to me! Greg actually took several "Amy photos" since I wasn't there. Isn't he sweet?


Still from the castle, another lovely view.

No comments: