One of the things I do love is the quirkiness of a place. Take these two images, for example.

I've no idea of the point--this was a watch-/clockmakers--but it was certainly fun.

No, we didn't visit this museum, but where else (aside from maybe the U.S.) would you find a museum devoted to french fries?
I've never studied architecture--that's much more Greg's line than mine--but I love buildings. I love doors and signs, fun rooftops and odd angles. (I'm sure you've all realized that from the photos I've selected to share.) Bruges escaped the horrific bombing of World War II, and as such, remains an architectural wonder in Europe. It has many buildings like these, all beautiful details and lines and old charm.


The detailing on this one, with that chimney, is just lovely.
And, just to prove that we were actually there, here we are.

Sorry Kati, we continue to be masters at not getting our picture taken together somehow!

Still, it surprised me how little of nature I actually captured on this trip, as that's usually a theme with me. Yes, there was the botanic garden in Leiden, but not much outside of that. Anyway, on our way back from our walking tour, we spied these three birds along the canal. I believe they're in the cormorant family, and am sure that Laura can tell for certain. It was such a pleasure to see them!

Bruges was wonderfully pictoresque and lovely. We spent most of the day there, having caught a train that morning. (And my French was perfectly fine in buying the tickets. Unfortunately, I didn't recognize the name of the town to which the train was headed, and the gentleman at the ticket window got awfully cranky with me upon asking him to repeat the track/train information. Ah well.) We actually had a little bonus wander on the way back to the train station as we missed our street. Bruges was as lovely as it looks, and if you're in the market, this charming house on the canal is for sale.
No comments:
Post a Comment