
Spring in Washington means cherry blossoms. Everyone knows this. It's when the days start to lengthen, when the flowers start to arrive. (Pollens for some.) It's when the tourists start to arrive. And it's glorious.
Sadly, this year was accompanied by much rain. I didn't make it to the tidal basin because of my travel schedule and the rain, but I did make a point of stopping to see the cherry trees. They are actually all over the city, and not just at the tidal basin, although those are the best known and among the most scenic. But I dodged the raindrops in to work one morning, to get at least a bit of a cherry blossom fix.

Scott Circle, named after General Winfield Scott, U.S. Army, is near our old apartment. It is full of cherry trees, so I made my way here, knowing that it's a bit off the traditional cherry blossom path. As you can see, it's lovely.

Given the cool and the rain, the blossoms were already starting to fall. Even on the ground they are light and lovely.


A close-up of the delicate branching and structure. Below, this is near the Australian Embassy, so I thank my Aussie friends for having tulips! These were the first I'd seen of the year, and it just made my day.


That afternoon I had my acupuncture appointment. It's by Eastern Market. Sadly, the old market burned down over a year ago (they are rebuilding), but there are cherries in front of the "new" market. Below, a weeping cherry (I love these!) in front of my acupuncturist's offices.
No comments:
Post a Comment