Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Coast

Yes, I understand that actually it’s the sound (Long Island Sound). But it’s still coastline. It still has sand and rocks and shells and crabs and, most importantly, tides. It is linked to the ocean and it’s water, and for me, that’s enough.

The last innumerable trips to CT have been short, rushed, and cold. I was determined that this time I’d get over to the water and just spend some time. All I wanted to do, all I’ve been craving to do, was walk the tidal lines, explore the tide pools, and sit and listen to the tides. I needed that connection.

Thankfully, I got a bit. Each day at mom’s, I’ve driven along the coast. That’s helped. Then it rained—not helpful. But finally, I got my day! Beautiful blue skies and a crisp breeze. I wouldn’t have much company, and that suited me just fine.

Sadly, I couldn’t park where I wanted to, as my rental car didn’t have the necessary tax payer sticker. But I found a park some ways down, and then just started to walk. And walk I did for more than an hour. The smell of the salt in the air was bracing as soon as I set foot near the water. The shale rocks amazed me. The tides were going out. I found crab parts, oyster shells, mussel shells, seaweed, agglomerations of shells with some creatures still living. The gulls and ducks posed and postured. It was beautiful and wonderful, even though I didn't get to rescue any horseshoe crabs this time.

Then the chill started to set in, and the office found me too. But maybe, I thought, I could go back tomorrow….

Which I did, even though it was even colder and windier today. This time, I went to the West Haven side, where I used to wander before having to start my restaurant shifts. These photos are from there—turns out, I only have the cable for the big camera with me, so I can't download the camera photos until I get back to Washington. But, I can transfer photos from my phone to the laptop, and the nice library lets me use their internet so that I can upload and write. Ah, things are good.







No comments: