We started off with a bit of a wander, just getting a good sense of the city. As usual, I was enchanted by street signs.

Many of the street signs in Madrid are accompanied by illustrations. Charming!
I really should have better notes about some of the buildings we passed. I know I have descriptions of some of these fountains and gates and landmarks, but which is which? I probably could look it up too, but at least you get a bit of a feel of the city.

This is the Metrópolis building, and I've no idea more than that.

I think this is the Plaza de Cibeles, named for the goddess Cybele, and a sign of the old Imperial Madrid. Real Madrid supporters are known to celebrate here. Behind it is the old Palacio de Comunicaciones, which currently houses the post office.

I think this is the Puerta de Alcalá. If so, then in summer and winter the cars are stopped to allow the sheep to move pastures.

Ah, back to fun street signs.

This is the May 2 monument, commemorating those who were executed in the anti-French revolts of the early 1800s.
All of these are along the Paseo del Prado, and flanked our first destination: el Museo del Prado.

I bought two paintings from the artist in the hat seated along the banner. He thought we were Australian, owing to Wendy's sun hat. When we said no, he became very confused. Apparently my basic Spanish is as good as my basic any other language; he knew we weren't English, yet we spoke English, but he refused to contemplate, and then believe, that we were American.

More of the exterior of the Prado. The original building is the Palacio de Villanueva which is best known for serving as Napoleon's cavalry barracks when he occupied Madrid, 1808-1813. After his departure, King Fernando VII made it a museum, et voilà.

However, while the Prado would let me in for free with my ICOM card, it wanted to charge Wendy. But Wendy knew her museum schedule and if we waited until 5:00, she could get in for free too. So since the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza charged at all times, we headed back up the Paseo.

And along the way we passed these wonderful gentlemen! They were playing jazz on the corner, with great gusto, and seemed to take requests too!
The museum was amazing! The collection is absolutely astounding. Established by Baron Thyssen-Bornemisza, it became Spanish when he married a former Miss España. The Spanish government redid the Palacio de Villahermosa for the collection, and it opened in 1992. Over the past twenty years, the Baroness has established her own collection, and I was absolutely stunned by what she has accomplished in this short time period. There is something for everyone at this museum, and it is also very easy to wander. Do you like medieval art? Head for the triptychs and religious art. How about Flemish and Dutch masters? Yes, there are Brueghels and van Dycks and Rembrandts. Prefer the impressionists? More than enough Van Goghs, Pissarros, Monets, Cezannes, Matisses, and Sisleys. Or perhaps you're after contemporary? Yes, you will find Kandinskys, Mirós, Mondrians, Rothkos, Dalís, and more. The breadth and depth of the collection was astonishing.
It was beautiful. It was amazing. Oh, there's a Toulouse-Lautrec. Ah, a Winslow Homer. Absolutely, that must be a Roy Lichtenstein. It was surprising. Really? That's a Georgia O'Keefe? My, I love it! (The painting was Nueva York en la luna.) I had a fabulous time, although honestly, it was the Baroness's collection that I enjoyed.
After this, we were hungry. So we headed to find lunch. There was a vegetarian restaurant that was high on Wendy's list. As much as I do like to eat vegetarian, it wasn't doing it for me. The night before, I'd read about a specialty sandwich, and it was all I wanted: un bocadillo calamares. That's right, a calamari sandwich. We found it, and headed for el Real Jardín Botánico, the Royal Botanic Garden, for a picnic.

Gardens! I so love lavender. And these little peppers were really pretty.


Because I love botanic gardens.... And a rock garden among cycads! This was too good to be true. (Yes, I know I'm a geek.)


There was a special exhibition in one of the buildings, a photography show about the Indigenous peoples of Colómbia. How perfect! And it was beautiful.

There were stunning greenhouses, one filled with the most amazing little cacti either of us had ever seen.

And more traditional fare, roses, and butterflies doing their pollination job.

Coming out of the garden, we headed back up the Paseo del Prado. We thought we'd cross over and head to the Caixa Forum, but first, we were intrigued by these sculptures in the pedestrian zone in the middle of the road.....
No comments:
Post a Comment