Friday, November 20, 2009

Seville, Day 3

Day three of class. We were still having trouble adjusting to the fact that it was still dark at 8 in the morning. By the time we left for class, at 9, it was light, but this was definitely something we didn't get used to.

It was also hard to realize that my study time was already half over. Really, what was I thinking with just a week? I was learning a lot, no question, and I was able to put much of it into practice when I was out in town. But all I could think was, when can I come back for two weeks? or can I do a month? I liked my classmates too, but really didn't have a chance to get to know them.

I was also really starting to realize the distinctions between the Spanish I had learned and the Spanish in Spain. Sounds: ce and ze were pronounced like th. Forms: I know NOTHING about the second person plural you (vosotros) form, because it's not used in Latin America. Or imperatives. I knew of two forms, and here I was supposed to use four. Or words, basics like sunglasses and computer were completely different. And with my grasp as tenuous as it is, this was extra tough.


The classroom where I spent 2/3 of my time at Clic.

But after class, it was time for me to explore again. Wendy still wasn't feeling well, and she really didn't want to see the Giralda again, so off I went. Oh, it was amazing!


You actually have to buy a ticket to the cathedral to get to the Giralda. It's a nice cathedral and most well-known because it houses the tomb of Christopher Columbus. Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed by that, but was by the organ, which was a double!



There are some beautiful gothic ceilings, and what is reported to be the biggest altarpiece in the world, all gilded wood.


But for me, it was the Giralda. It's about 35 flights (done as ramps, actually) up, and the views as you ascend, and from the top, are absolutely spectacular. La Giralda was the minaret of the mosque that was destroyed to build the cathedral. But most of the tower is the Muslim original, (below the bell tower, anyway), and it's a stunning example of Islamic architecture. I was just charmed, and couldn't get enough of it.


You can see the famous orange tree garden below.


Stunning cityscapes and views of the cathedral.



Yes, you are right there with the bells in the tower.


The whole city is laid out before your eyes from here.




Back on the ground, some stained glass, then a last view upwards.



Details.


I was here so long that I missed the Alcázar once again. So I set off on a walk. I also hadn't been down to the river yet, and I knew that wouldn't close!


Along the Río Guadalquivir. And the famous Torre del Oro, which was named after the reported golden tile roof in the 13th century.


I ended up circling around and found myself at the Plaza de Toros, or the bullring. I hadn't been planning to come here, not being a fan or proponent of bullfighting. However, it is a huge element of the culture, and I decided that I should check it out.


The entrance. It's really a lovely building.


Tile is an industry here, and the inside signage is just beautiful.



The bullring in Seville is reportedly the oldest in Spain. It is also where bullfighting on foot began. There are separate entrances for the bulls (toros) and the bullfighters (toreros), as well as a box for the royal family.



There's also a nice little tour and museum. It's fully guided, so you can't really linger anywhere. But it's done in English and Spanish, which is great. Yes, those are real bull heads, famous bulls. And some of the costumes worn by some of the famous bullfighters. Quite opulent.


I did finally head back, as I had homework to do, and we had tickets to a flamenco show that evening. I didn't think photography would be allowed, so I didn't bring the camera. Turns out that it was, for the last five minutes. So I only have the fuzzy snap from the phone. It was an incredibly show! I had no idea that flamenco and tap were so closely related. The percussive element of flamenco is much greater than I expected. I did expect the drama and the passion, and I really fell in love with it.

No comments: