Friday, November 27, 2009

Segovia, Part 1

We finally decided on Segovia.

We'd been debating between Segovia and Toledo, and I was also trying to figure out Juan Carlos's schedule. Wendy thought it just fantastic that friends from two different continents could end up meeting on a third, so she was immensely interested in the soap-opera-style developments. He did get the visa, but now was delayed in leaving so wouldn't arrive until Tuesday (and we were leaving on Wednesday morning). Then he was going directly to Seville and not staying with his cousin in Madrid. That's where it was as we tried to set our Monday plans.

Friends and family had told me that I HAD to go to Toledo. Wendy had been, and the things that she wanted most to see -- the Jewish Museum and the Visigoth Museum -- were both closed on Mondays. I love medieval towns, and really wanted to wander there, but also wanted to see the Visigoth Museum. Segovia sounded like a sleepy town, with a cathedral and castle and aquaduct. How to decide?! I could go to Segovia with Wendy on Monday, then go on my own to Toledo on Tuesday. But, I had yet to see the Palacio or the gardens in Madrid! And staying in Madrid Tuesday would give me more flexibility to handle packing, last details, and any possible meeting. Wendy suggested that we split up on Monday, she going to Segovia and I going to Toledo. In the end, I decided that I could do Toledo next time; I was here with Wendy and Segovia would be fun.

So we started off with a typical Madrid breakfast: tostada con manzanilla y marmelada (toast with butter and jelly) and cafe con leche (coffee with milk) at a little cervecería. Then, we took the metro over to Príncipe Pío where we bought ida y vuelta (roundtrip) tickets for the autobús. But these were beautiful buses! And the ride of just over an hour was through lovely countryside. It was a great start.

From the bus, we had about a half mile walk to the old downtown area, which starts at the aquaduct. We figured that was a pretty easy landmark to find.


We passed this pretty little church on the way.


Then, the aquaduct! Yes, it's Roman built, and very grand. It's not Pont du Gard in France, but it is spectacular nevertheless.


The stone was resplendent in the morning sun.



Details of the stonework.



The arches make beautiful vantage points.



Vistas from alongside and through.


Thanks Wendy! It's a good one!



One more long view before we head off to the old town.

Segovia is also famous for its amazing stone work and its monuments. The stonecutters in this town must have been in high demand, and very wealthy too, because they were clearly master craftsmen.


Many buildings have these intricate patterns in the stone. They are stunning.


Juan Bravo is the local hero. He defended the town and was decapitated for his efforts.


Up around the next corner is the main plaza, and the cathedral.

No comments: