
Surprise, very gothic exterior, all spires and flying buttresses.


More details, and a look back at the pretty plaza.


Inside, the vaulted arches were stunning. And the organ! Yes, my favorite part, of course.


There was also a pretty cloister, and a charming bell tower.


We then wandered through the old Jewish quarter, and out one of the old gates. So beautiful!
Then, it was time for lunch! Segovia is also well known for cochinillo asado (roast suckling pig). Since I do eat meat, Wendy was determined that this is what I had to have for lunch.

One of the famous restaurants for cochinillo asado, but it just seemed too much for me.
We found another place around the corner, however, which had a set menu, and many vegetarian options, and we both thought we'd be happy here. Turns out, Casares was delightful! While Wendy had a spectacular endive salad with manchego and smoked salmon, and then the flan she had been waiting two weeks to have, I had the menú típico: gazpacho (which was the most beautiful presentation I'd seen, and heavenly), cochinilla asado, and ponche segoviana. The cochinilla was incredible. Tender, moist, delectable. (I had to hide the foot from Wendy, though, since it was served as a quarter suckling pig.) The dessert was another regional speciality: a cinnamon and honey infused cake, wrapped in a marzipan crust. I'm not a fan of marzipan, since I don't care for almonds, but the cake was exquisite.

We resumed our walk, and Wendy insisted that this was my street! My goal was fish every day while in Spain, so I don't know that she was wrong.
As we approached the end of the old town, we neared the Alcázar. This building is shaped like the bow of a ship. Originally it was a fortress, complete with moat and fortifications. Then is was a royal palace (to some of the Castilian kings and queens). It also has been through some rough patches, being a state prison, a military college, and now, actually, the state armory museum. Odd.

The vistas from here are stunning. It's so easy to understand why they would have built here, with these views overlooking all of the kingdom.... Below, the facade, rebuilt after a fire, and very Disney-esque. In fact, we saw something that led us to believe that the towers were a model for at least one of the Disney castles.


The entrance area, and the moat.


Looking up the tower, then in the "front" door.


Beautiful stained glass!


This the "prow of the ship" and it's gorgeous. The views from here are spectacular!

Finally, we wearied of the magnificence, and wandered our way back to the bus station. Another lovely drive through the country, and we were back in Madrid. This evening, there was a reportedly very good vegetarian restaurant right near our hotel, so we gave it a go. And it was quite good. In fact, Wendy determined to return the following evening for her last meal in Spain, while in theory, I was going to see my Ecuadoran friend because his cousins were insisting that he stay for a few days before heading south. It promised to be a busy last day of vacation.
No comments:
Post a Comment