Sunday, June 19, 2011

Ho-Hum

I made such a good decision to get away to Vermont for a week, and to do a farm stay - it's been so fabulous!

And I can say this despite the setbacks: some above-average temperatures and humidity (but still not comparable to the misery that is DC in summer), WiFi challenges at the farm, and car trouble. Yes, the rental car is making me crazy. I got a low tire light early on. I'm car stupid since I haven't owned one in about 20 years, so I stopped at a gas station. They helped me look at it and said everything was fine; actually, lots of people get those lights up here. And it went off, so I thought all was good. But it came back yesterday and didn't go away. This morning, I could tell the difference with one tire. So I brought it to a station and we got the tire fixed up and all was good. Until I was driving back tonight and the light went off again. So I stopped and called the rental agency. I could take it more than an hour's drive back to the airport, or wait until the morning and go to another branch in the town I'm actually heading to in the morning. Since that represented about half of the driving of the airport trip, and they assured me that it would be fine, that's the plan. Hopefully it will still be reasonable in the morning. Good thing I changed my plans today and opted out of the long trip that I had been planning!

But it's been a couple of beautiful days of wandering back country roads, small towns, and enjoying the scenery and company. And there's so much to do! I really could spend days taking factory tours and trying things. I've been to Ben & Jerry's (of course), Cabot Cheese, Grand View Winery, a cider mill, a maple sugar farm, several museums (also of course), I don't even know. And I love country/general/village stores. They are just like Hasagawa's in Hana - a little bit of everything, from necessities to local goods. Tomorrow, after the rock quarry (which is after they either fix this tire or give me another car), I'm planning to do some more wandering, a couple more general stores, and some covered bridges. Maybe I'll even wander in Montpelier for a bit. There's a co-op I've been told to check out....

I will be sad to go back, but surprisingly, also ready. I'm looking forward to not driving everywhere, and being able to walk and get back to my gym classes. And while I could still use a good massage to fix my shoulders, I am feeling refreshed. I'll miss the farm, and farm chores (but I still have two more days for that). I've also fallen for a delightful small town called Waterbury. And the weather today, and projected for tomorrow, is GLORIOUS.

And this post title? Believe it or not, there's a chain of motels called Ho-Hum Motel. Fascinating.

No comments: