Saturday, January 9, 2016

Bogotá!!

I've wanted to go to Colombia for a while. I was supposed to go two years ago as part of the research for Inka Road, to the southwest part of the country, but unrest there left me behind in Quito. (Being in Quito is always good though.) A good friend went last year and wanted me to join her after finishing our work in Peru, but flight prices and museum obligations prevented that. Bogotá has been listed in so many newspapers and magazines recently as a hip and up-and-coming city. So when my dear friend who is from there said he'd be home for New Year's and I should come, I thought, yes! (Ooh, and another New Year's trip, what fun.) And everything I've heard from friends from Colombia and those who have visited is true--it's wonderful.

 My charming and lovely hotel. It's in a very hip neighborhood away from downtown, full of bars and restaurants, near a commercial center and bus lines.
The courtyard was so pretty! And all decked out for the holidays. 
The patio where I had breakfast al fresco every morning. Loved it!! 
More decorations, headed in to the desk and the rooms. 
Breakfast started with papaya and juice. Perfect! 
Then eggs (which when scrambled I did OK), toast, and good coffee. Lovely way to start the day. 
Loved my room! Great sunlight, incredibly comfortable, just perfect. And the hotel staff were among the nicest people I met on the trip. Although, everyone I met was incredibly nice....
 But perhaps the strangest minibar. I drank all the water, but left the coca cola, red bull, whiskey, and vienna sausages. ???

I arrived late on December 30, so New Year's Eve was my first day. Adjusting to the altitude is always tough too. But I was finally in Bogotá. And so pleased to be back in the Andes.

No comments: