So little time and so much to do!
We headed out for one of the big markets, Paloquemao, determined that I'd have these other fruits. But the buses were not cooperating, so we changed course for the Museo del Oro (Museum of Gold), leaving the market for the next time. You always have to have something for the next time, after all....
At the museum, I asked after the folks who had visited in DC a few years ago. One had left the museum, but one was in. She and another colleague came down to say hello. So I was able personally to ask after everyone, and leave the Inka Road book. That was really nice. And she set us up with one of their guides--personal tour! What a bonus. He spent a little over an hour with us, which was an incredible treat.
This is one of their signature pieces, one of the first acquired by the museum. It's also the subject of a fascinating x-ray and materials study. I must admit that I didn't quite get all the technical detail at the time, but later, on our own, when we found the study, I asked more questions. The center form was created with a mold, basically a double-walled ceramic, and the gold was poured between the walls. Fascinating.
These little figures actually show people, possibly shamans, chewing coca leaves. Each has a bulging cheek. There was a lot about traditional practice and tools for religious purpose.
I really liked how they used outline figures to show how some pieces would have been worn. Not all of these pieces were found in the same grave, but in the same area.
I love this little figure! Perhaps more because the guide made me my very own, out of gold paper. It's now on my desk at work. It's likely a jaguar or similar animal, and is a great example of the use of symmetry in design.
Bats! Two different styles. These may be my favorites.
And there was an incredible immersive theater/room, circular in shape, with a central "pit," everything filled with gold pieces and lit up at various times. Wow. Absolutely stunning.
Another beautiful wall, this one in the area highlighting different regional cultures of Colombia.
I loved this too! A map of the country, with pictures of different indigenous peoples hung over the regions. And people could walk on it and explore.
Very personal.
And this room was small but informative, about an early civilization that left behind an incredible water management system of canals that are only now beginning to be studied and, hopefully, understood for their implications to today's sustainability challenges. I really liked how they used the floor as well.
The museum cafe had a line so we left. The Botero Museum was still closed, so we went to the National Library. It's another lovely building, but also has a good cafe. Or rather, did. So we went wandering, and since I didn't want tamales, and it was now well past lunchtime, thankfully we stumbled on a little place that he knew, having been taken there recently by a professor at the university after a presentation he'd given. Simple and tasty.
And then the rain came. So we ducked into some artisan markets and did a little shopping. The rain was short, and we were off again. There was a paper store I wanted to see; also closed. So we gave in and headed up to Montserrate. I was pretty well adjusted at this point, but climbing was still slow going. The funicular is terrifying (to me) to see from below, but it was a great ride.
And up top, beautiful! More lights for the holidays, and the church was so pretty.
But the view! Absolutely incredible. I love that in this photo you get the sun and the rain clouds, and a good sense of how the city is nestled in the valley between the mountains.
We wandered for a bit and found a path that he'd never explored before. So off we went, and were rewarded with scenic views of the mountains and very few people with which to share them.
So we had our own little photo session.
Then headed for one of the restaurants to have a drink and watch the sunset. Unfortunately, the rain prevented seeing the sunset, but we did get to watch the lights come on across the city. One more time where I was reminded of Quito.
Then back down and to the hotel and off to dinner. His mom and brother were meeting us; I had made reservations at a restaurant not far from my hotel that had shown up on one of my Bogotá-don't-miss lists. A bit loud, but very good. His brother asked me what I'd missed during the trip. Aside from a big market, there was the botanic garden, the Botero Museum, at least one fruit, more great little towns and villages, and I'm sure lots of other good things in the city. His mom asked several times if I would come back.
I'd love to.
















No comments:
Post a Comment