I slept in and skipped breakfast; the long day with too much food combined with the altitude was affecting me. I thought about going out for a walk. I read for a little while instead. We were off to a family barbecue for the afternoon, but a neighborhood walk was up first.
I loved this view up the street from the hotel, with the mountains in the background.
A block away was a little park. Hmm, looks like lights hanging from the trees.
And all kinds of lights on the paths.
And the little neighborhood church.
Which, surprise, is charming and beautiful inside.
Over to the commercial center, where there was a little outdoor artisan market. And this funky car done up in bamboo. I think we then tried every ATM in the commercial center, but no luck with this new card that the bank promised me would work. (I was trying not to carry a debit card linked directly to a bank account. I've never had a problem, but I haven't been able to find another solution. This was not it. I removed my money and canceled the card the day I got back. Grmpf.) I was rather bothered by being in a country and not able to access funds in local currency. Thankfully I had dollars with me and friends willing to make the exchange.
Oh the mountains!! I just don't get tired of them.
Then, off to his aunt's where there was more family! Beautiful (and polite!) children, lovely lovely people, and more good food with much laughter. I never felt like I was crashing the party. We had corn on the cob (mazorka) from the grill, then potatoes and yuca with the grilled meat and fresh guacamole. And to drink, something called refajo which is a mix of Colombian beer and soda. It was quite light and refreshing. Then, arroz con leche for dessert. No snacks, no seconds, and yet I thought I would burst. Plus, my head was pounding. I really didn't feel well.
Thankfully, my good friend also lives in a city without a car and wanted to walk for a bit, so we walked the four miles back to the hotel. We stopped for tea at the little park, and by then, I was starting to improve. By then, also, it was dark, and the magic happened.
Spectacular!!
People were everywhere, taking in and enjoying the festive lights and colors.
The lights didn't stay up (lit) through Three Kings but through the weekend. I enjoyed them every time.
I was then in for the evening. WiFi at the hotel was really good, so I took the opportunity to catch up with family and send some photos/notes along. I crashed about 9:30, but woke a little after midnight and succumbed to the headache medicine. Thankfully it worked and I slept and by morning I was feeling normal again.










No comments:
Post a Comment