
Snow covered peaks. Glacial ice. Spectacular views. Alaska offers all this and more. True, the landscape differs dramatically depending on where you are--Alaska is a HUGE state. But around Anchorage, which is where I was this trip, this is what we saw.
We were headed for the Alaska Federation of Natives Conference, held at the new Den'aina Conference Center. Aside from the concrete floor, it's a wonderful venue. As usual, we didn't quite have all the information we'd needed in advance, so things were rather different than what we'd expected, but it all worked out. The Director's talk was short, but had a huge impact because of radio, TV, and web broadcasts. There were nearly twice as many art vendors as we'd been told (and when is that bad?!). So our supplies were short, but it came together well. I think we had a very positive presence. We also felt very good about our support of Alaska Native artists at the conference. :) And, I don't know why, but I was surprised by how many people I know in Alaska. It was wonderful to constantly bump into people, then have some time to catch up.

Our "booth." The big media booth was at the NIEA Conference in Seattle at the same time, so we had the banner. Honestly, this was much less imposing and much easier to work with, even if less dramatic. Below, our super team, relaxing at one of Anchorage's many fine eating spots after we'd finished packing everything up: Laura, me, Shannon.

My old boss is now the director of the Anchorage Museum, and they are expanding. Part of the new space will be a section devoted to Alaska Native culture, and we have a large loan in preparation for that gallery. Before the conference started, we had a tour of the new facility--it's a terrific space, and I hope I'll get to see it when finished.

I love this sculpture outside the museum. I'm pretty certain I took similar photos years ago when I was last there.

The Alaska Native gallery has several large panels already installed. This one really spoke to me, mirroring many of my feelings from all my trips this past year. The translation is: "What you do not see, do not hear, do not experience, you will never really know."

Shannon and I, and our former boss Jim, try the Alutiiq hats, which were worn when hunting on the water. The conical shape helps channel sound and boost the hunter's hearing.

For the closing of the Yup'ik exhibit, there was a celebration at the museum. Here, members of the Kicaput dancers share a dance.
Finally, we had a little time to wander Anchorage. It gets dark somewhat early, but stays dark until late in the morning, so we didn't really explore much. Plus, it was cold, unseasonably so, as people kept apologizing to us.

Anchorage as a crossroads. These signs point the relative directions to a number of world cities, and document the air miles to those places. Below, Alaska is home to the Iditarod Sled Dog Race, one of my favorites. I didn't get out to the training center this time, so didn't get to see the sled dog puppies, sadly. And next year is Alaska's 50th anniversary as a state. Yes, just 50 years. For as much as people out east talk about history, much of Alaska's is pre-United States. And I love that the Big Dipper constellation is the state flag symbol!

Laura and I stayed on to have a bit of time to explore. Turns out, we had less time than expected, as we were asked for several meetings. These were terrific, though, and then we did get out of town, toward Portage and Seward. Those shots, next post! I'm off to the office now for some catch-up....
No comments:
Post a Comment