Thursday, November 13, 2008

Miss Bree

I returned from Alaska at nearly midnight on a Tuesday, and left for New York City Wednesday afternoon, after swapping out files and trying to catch up a bit at the office in the morning. Our Board of Trustees was meeting Thursday and Friday in the New York museum. Our committee meeting was Thursday and went really well. On Friday, I had a meeting with the community host for the website project. This was fun because the museum is at the lower end of Manhattan and she lives at the upper end. New York City subway is a flat rate, so for just $2, I can ride from one end of the island to the other. It takes just over an hour to get to her place. We got a lot accomplished.

So this was Halloween. Because I was flying back from Alaska, I missed the high heel race. (Every year, there is a drag race, in high heels, in my old neighborhood. The hour before is mostly a parade, and it's fabulous. Some of the men look better than many women, and some of the best costumes I've ever seen have been in this race.) Because of NY, I was on the train for Halloween itself. Ah well, maybe next year. In any case, I was looking forward to some catch up over the weekend.

I'd just returned from the farmer's market on Saturday morning when Kelly called. She was on the highway in Virginia, heading to Washington. Scott's been working in DC, so they were coming up for the weekend. Kelly's my best friend from graduate school, and we hadn't seen her or Bree for quite some time, so this was a treat! I had an acupuncture appointment that afternoon, but we figured to meet for dinner. Bree is very active, and never quite settled down, although we all tried. I helped her jump along on our walk to dinner, raced her down the block and down the hallway.... Nothing helped. But, she slept the entire drive back on Sunday!

Even though this was a very short trip, good news is that they are coming back for Thanksgiving, so we'll see them again in just a few weeks.


This was the one point where Bree actually sat still for about a full minute. Uncle Greg put on the Muppets and Kelly was amazed that she was so captivated.


It was short lived, however. Here she tries to show her daddy how she can jump on any chair at all. For our family, you can finally see a little of our condo in these photos!


You all know that Greg is NOT a fan of kids. Bree is special for him though, and he does enjoy her. I hope she never has a melt down though, or it could all be over....

No comments: