Saturday, November 22, 2008

Fall

I love fall. The crispness in the air. The color change of the leaves. The way the fallen leaves crunch under my feet. I may like spring more, with spring flowers and the light, but I think because I dislike summer humidity so much, fall for me is always wonderful.

Washington and the mid-Atlantic region can't compete with New England for fall colors. I do miss that. I'm also sad that I haven't had much of a chance to get out this fall and hike or have a drive through some of the parks and scenic areas. Nevertheless, I dragged Greg through Rock Creek Park both days last weekend. The National Zoo is in the park, and we live very close by. We were headed to see the new James Bond movie for his birthday (he likes the character James Bond; but I like the actor Daniel Craig) which was playing at the last big screen theater in Washington, the Uptown. One way we can walk is to cut across the park through the zoo. Now this was handy because I needed tickets for ZooLights (more below). However, since I forgot our membership card, we couldn't get the tickets, so had to return on Sunday. This was actually good, because I'd counted on the iPhone for some fall photos along the way, but Greg forgot his phone.


Not like where I grew up, but lovely colors all the same. I have leaves taped to my door at the office too. They're not so colorful any more, but I can't take them down.


So next week is Thanksgiving, and Kelly and Bree are coming back to town. The National Zoo last year started a program of animal figures made of lights. It's a ticketed event, in the evenings. Some of the buildings are open, there's hot chocolate (yum!), and just a lot of fun. So, we got tickets for the McKenna-Hughes family and us. Something tells me that I'm going to enjoy it a whole lot more than Bree will, but that's OK.


Preview photos, alas by day. Elephants and tigers--including the zoo babies--on lion/tiger hill.


Yes, it's an octopus! Don't know why, but I love octopi.


I can't wait to see how this little frog "leaps" along the arch.

So, I WILL bring the camera to ZooLights next Friday evening. I will have to go to the office that day, despite having put in for leave, because it will be the only chance I can meet with my boss until January, and we still have to do my performance review. But it will be a good evening.

Speaking of work, it's been insanity itself. I was in the office today for five hours, trying to get the essays done for the community in Ecuador. This past week got away from me: we learned on Monday that President Evo Morales of Bolivia was coming to the museum on Wednesday, and we needed to arrange a lunch with tribal leaders, so there went big chunks of Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Quick aside on the visit: despite the craziness with Secret Service and trying to arrange that type of lunch on such short notice, it was a wonderfully collaborative effort at the museum. And, the President is both taller and more handsome that I'd thought from TV and newspaper, and quite a charming person. The most interesting part was that, despite, and perhaps because of my tendency to stay "back row" and take care of things behind-the-scenes, I ended up the keeper of the gifts. We had the gift for the President, and after my colleague helped our Director present that, the President presented his gift. Our Director turned around to pass them off, and my colleague had disappeared. So I came to the rescue. They were a beautiful hardwood and silver staff, and a horn of pure silver, with a lovely woven blanket. Since I gathered them there, they became my charge for the afternoon. So I put them on display in the back for all attendees to see, then made sure they went to collections after, and began the information gathering for accessioning. That was actually quite a highlight.

Then on Thursday we had the first meeting for the festival that we'll be having for inauguration. It's a fabulous idea, but since we're the only organization of the group with a venue, it's all at our museum. And there are a ton of events at the museum over those days too. So, so much for a four-day weekend! If anyone's looking for me that weekend, looks like I'll be working. Needless to say, all the things I needed to do this week at the office didn't get done, and with only five official days left in the office before I leave for Vietnam, it's tough. Much of next week will be prepping for while I'm out, making sure there's coverage for all contracts, projects, etc. etc. But before I go, I'll share Thanksgiving and ZooLights. Happy Thanksgiving all!

No comments: