Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I did it!

So just a few random things to keep it interesting, while I dig out at the office. It's crazy, and even most of my home hours are devoted to the office this week. I hope to get back to Alaska this weekend....

But, today I delivered my first university lecture! Hopkins started a museum studies minor, and I did a panel for them about a year ago, as an alum in the museum field. Elizabeth then asked me to guest lecture for one of her intro courses. I was terrified--no surprise to any of you, I'm sure. But it went really well, and I actually had a great time. The students were really engaged, with lots of terrific questions, and Elizabeth said it was fabulous. So I'll hope that maybe this is just the first of many. Even if not, it was a great experience, and I'm glad I did it.

Before that, I spent an hour in line this morning at our polling station. Glad I kept my name! I got pulled to the front, as the end-of-the-alphabet line was lacking people. But I'm glad to do it. Having been a student of international affairs and having traveled some, I try to be very conscious of the things we take for granted here in the States. While the cynical side of me recognizes that my vote here in the District really only counts on local politics (because the District vote is partisan and popular vote actually doesn't matter here, contrary to popular belief), I still think it's really important and am committed to performing my civic duty. So if you didn't vote today, and especially if you live in a swing area where it really is important, I hope you're properly chastised.

Otherwise, as I was leaving the museum on Sunday evening--yes, I was helping with a program, but also working--our resident hawk flew by my head. I'd heard about him, but hadn't seen him yet. That was quite spectacular, and I was very grateful for that fly-by. A few weeks ago we had three eagles circling the building too--I hope it's a sign, as some of my colleagues think, that some of the difficulties we've had recently at the museum are now behind us.

Anyway, more on Alaska and NYC--and Kelly and Bree's surprise visit--as soon as I can catch up a bit.

No comments: