Sunday, January 11, 2009

Quick Update

Back in Washington, things are a little crazy. As a quick update:

We've had our first real home repair--the toilet handle. Yes, it came apart and refused to stay together any longer. So we are now officially home owners. (Or did recaulking the shower already qualify us?)

Greg switched to a compressed work schedule (work 9 out of 10 days in the pay period, longer days), and I will be switching to one soon. I hope that this will not only help me add some extra gym work into my schedule (swimming and/or dance), but will also help me with school time. Yes, it seems that I'm headed back to school again, and yes, for the PhD. Paperwork is in progress, so I'll fill in more soon. But I'm so excited!

Actually, I think that break will be good, as the office is proving complicated. While I was out, one of my projects was supposed to finish at the printer and then mail out. No one wanted to tell me when it got pulled. Management was debating some organizational changes, and wanted to ensure that the publication would reflect properly. Needless to say, it now needs some work, and we're hoping it goes back to press week after next. What this means for me (aside from a headache), is that my job is changing too. I'll have more details come Wednesday, I think, but my plate is being cleared and I'm being reassigned.

Finally, Inauguration is coming quickly, and the buzz here is palpable. Smithsonian decided to do a festival for the inauguration, along with a number of the SI units. We're the only one with a venue, however, so it's all at our place. (Out of Many) So I'm working all next weekend. I'm still hoping that I won't have to be there on Inauguration Day itself, but no word yet. Greg, surprise, will probably not venture far from the house those four days, in an attempt to avoid the crowds and craziness.

Lastly, at some point on one of my travels--I think Alaska--the group did some landscaping at the building, and just sent photos around. Here's one of Greg for you. Hope you all had a wonderful New Year's!

No comments: