Thursday, July 26, 2012
Quito only, not Cusco
The return to Quito was fine. Lovely hotel, a chance to get to know the historic center a bit. I bumped into my old professor Vinicio at the airport, and we caught up for a few minutes. And that night I had dinner with Juan Carlos. I wandered the next day, seeing some museums and churches that I hadn't before. Mondays are hard though - not all is open on Mondays.
Tuesday morning I headed to the airport for my flight to Cusco. Delayed. Then we heard cancelled. Actually, it was hard to know since no one was actually communicating with us. People were pulled out of our line and then our line just sat there while other lines continued to move. Eventually, probably because I had asked, she did come talk to me. In theory the flight would leave at 1:45. This didn't bode well.
After several (probably very expensive) calls to my colleague Ramiro in Peru, he learned more from his travel agency. In short, there was no way for me to make any connection on any airline to Cusco that day and the first connection the next morning, even, was too late. I could not join the group and there was no way to change my dates. My trip, therefore, was cancelled. I was advised to stay in Quito.
Easier said than done, as it turns out. The gentleman at the airport agreed, and told me I'd get a refund since it was the cancellation of the flight that was the problem. But he couldn't do it there - I'd have to go to LAN's office. But first, a hotel. Thankfully (I thought), my return hotel could take me, so off I went.
Let's just say horrible. It wasn't the cleanest place, although I've stayed in worse. But it was the other guests. There were courtyards and all afternoon all I heard was screaming, yelling, loud phone conversations, crying, etc. and they smoked continually and the smoke entered my room. I felt so ill. But I was stuck. Finally I had to get out, so I tried to go to LAN.
My cab driver thought he was my father and after driving for a while, decided it wasn't a good idea. Most expensive cab ride I've ever had here and with nothing to show for it. Certainly didn't help my mood any. But, I decided to change my hotel - after all, I had options and it is my vacation. The front desk said no problem when I said my plans had changed again, and while I loved the first hotel, I opted for something at a similar cost but more in the tourist area. Originally I didn't want to be there at all, but I know that area better and it's much closer to all my friends at the NGO and at the school, so I'd save considerable time and cab fare.
And what a difference! I felt so much more positive after the change that I decided to try to tackle LAN. It started as all my fault for not taking the flight and that I'd lost everything, and ended with my likely getting either a refund or at least a voucher for future travel. It's still in progress, but since I did it all by myself and in Spanish, I'm pretty pleased.
Today started well too, with a visit to the Mindalae Museum, which is an ethnographic museum. On the way home, I got sick though. Rationally, it could only be the cappuccino I got as I left the museum, as breakfast was hours earlier, but that seems weird too. So I'm taking a bit to write, will check and see if I've heard back from any of my friends about plans for tonight and the weekend, and then, if all still seems well, I'll venture out a bit, at least close to "home"!
But all is well. I'm sad about missing the Peru trip, and I know that Ramrio was really upset. But things happen for a reason, and I do enjoy Ecuador so, so more time to explore here and see folks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment