Sunday, July 8, 2012

Spring and Summer Fun

It's been a busy spring, but less with outings than usual, owing to the complications of work. But there has been some great stuff going on. These first photos are from American History, and the new exhibit my classmate curated called America's Stories.
She knows that Apolo Ohno is one of my celebrity crushes, but somehow, she forgot to mention that his skates are in the exhibit....
 Yup. Kermit the Frog and a Stradivarius cello.

 And it really wouldn't be stories of America without some ruby slippers, would it?

We also did some embassy touring during the Around the World Embassy Open House Day. This time we headed north, to catch some of the embassies around International Drive. It's funny, I feel like this day is like a family reunion -- the embassies all seem to be really excited to have people visit, we often meet the ambassadors and their families, and each one is like a little party. I sadly don't get that same feel with the European day -- it's almost like those embassies feel obligated to do it.....



 My first henna. That was fun.

I also saw two spectacular shows: Samurai at National Geographic, and the Joan Miró retrospective at the National Gallery. That one I visited with my Spanish tutor, so it was really great fun.

Now, it's vacation time! I think I'm caught up on the blog, and it looks like I'll have pretty good Wi-Fi access while I'm away, at least at the hotels. So I will plan to do the big updates when I get back and can really sort photos and figure it all out, but I'll try to do some short interim posts about the trip while I'm gone. Where am I going? Ecuador and Peru. Yes, both Galápagos and Machu Picchu. Woohoo!!


No comments: