This trip was supposed to be in three parts, but instead had two. Even though they were both Ecuador, they were very different. Before I move on to the Galápagos, I'm going to wrap up mainland Ecuador with some thoughts. This was my third trip, so there were definitely things that I loved, things that I didn't, things that had improved, things that made me go Hmmmm.
First, I love the serendipity that is Ecuador. I got off the plane in Quito, leaving my group to their travel agent, and bumped into Vinicio outside! He was waiting for a student, and we chatted for 20 minutes or so. As my group departed for their hotel, they all thought it very funny that I moved outside to bump into a friend.
I love vino hervedo. It's warm spiced wine. I guess it's like mulled wine but I've never had mulled wine.
I love the incredible variety of fruits. Ecuador really isn't that far away, yet we don't have them. I don't understand.
Altitude is hard. Even with pills, my fingers tingle morning and night. Even once I'm adjusted, it's hard to do hills or stairs. Until I adjust I have terrible problems with my nose -- it's painful and while I don't get bloody noses, it's close. And going to sleep at night is rough too until I acclimate.
There are lots of public bathrooms, which is good. Cleanliness varies, but there is usually an attendant who has paper and sometimes other supplies. The fee is nominal, and it's very convenient.
Transportation is cheap, compared to what I'm used to. Taxis, buses, all very reasonable. Now, you do have to know where you're going on buses or you will miss your stop..... And most of the buses are diesel and belch black smoke. I won't miss that. Or the seeming ineptitude at the airport.
Water. It's potable, but not exactly for "Western" stomachs. I thought I was safe with that cappuccino, both because it's hot water and I was at a big chain, but bottled water is still the way to go.
It was odd to miss the end of the Tour de France. It was great, but a little strange, to see the Olympics. I was able to watch some each evening on ESPN Sur. So it was all in Spanish and Argentina was the country focus. Definitely made for a different and very interesting perspective.
There is increasingly more access to Internet and technology -- many more iPhones and such this time. But downloads are brutal. It took nearly an hour for one episode of The New Yorker. Which reminds me that I want to write them and suggest they do a "lite" version for those occasions.....
This time, while I still saw a lot of poverty, I definitely saw growth: more consumption, more goods, more imports (KFC, Subway, Pizza Hut). The McDonald's had a Toblerone McFlurry -- do we have that? There was construction everywhere, from burying the power lines and other infrastructure in the historic center, to new buildings. I saw more police, and even ads on the television for the police! More WiFi, more cars, more traffic. Not all of this is good, but it's definitely a sign of the changes that are underway and why Ecuador is leading developing nations in growth.
What didn't change are the things that I will miss most: the incredible friends that I have there; the unbelievable beauty of the country; the wealth of culture and nature both, meaning that there is always more to see and do and experience; the really nice and sincere people; the ease of taking field trips; the multitude of amazing parks; the sense of family; the Andean weather....
Could I move to Ecuador? Apparently if you live there for five (or was it six?) years, you qualify for citizenship. Very possibly, especially if my family of friends is around.
No comments:
Post a Comment