Monday, August 27, 2012

Galápagos Day 7, Part 2: Kicker Rock/León Dormido

The final deep water snorkel of the trip was scheduled for the last day, at an incredible islet formation off the western side of San Cristóbal Island called León Dormido (Sleeping Lion) or Kicker Rock. This was the one everyone had been waiting for -- the chance to swim with sharks.

 The rock is a volcanic tuff cone that has split in two, with a channel between. The seas were a bit rough, so only two zodiacs set out. We were the committed.
 Or not. Since I'm photographing everyone in the channel, swimming with the Galápagos sharks (no hammerheads, sadly), I was clearly in a zodiac. Since I'm not a strong swimmer, the swells were too much for me. And several others, as it turns out.
 Amazing, no? We went around to the other side. Max, our zodiac captain, assured me it was calmer on the other side.
 It was, so I got in. I'd come along because I knew that if I stayed on the ship I was definitely NOT getting in the water. Since I was there, I felt I had to go. I didn't last long though -- even this side had some chop, and I didn't think I could fight against the currents. I don't think there's much in this photo, but hey, I was there.
 The group hugging the rock around the side, trying to keep together.

All agreed it was another amazing outing though, despite the disappointment of no hammerheads. I was just glad I'd gone and gotten in. For me, who'd been snorkeling only once before this trip, where I didn't let go of the boat and it took me nearly the entire time just to put my face in the water, and because of which I signed up for adult swim lessons for a while, I did five snorkels, four of them in deep water. The last two weren't very successful, but this was a HUGE personal success.

As the sun prepared to set on our final evening, the captain offered a round of champagne as we circled Kicker Rock a few times. What a spectacular view!


León Dormido / Kicker Rock at sunset. I have no idea why it has two different names. 

After dinner, we had the chance to go ashore for a bit if we wanted, in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno. It really was the only chance to see the town, as we'd be passing through to the airport in the morning. A number of my group wanted me to go with them. (Someone had to order the drinks, right?)

The sea lions have taken over this town. They sat on the park benches, on the playground slides, on the sidewalks -- anywhere they felt like it. I only had the little camera with me, so there wasn't enough light for much. Too bad this photo doesn't speak -- they are noisy too!! One little fellow kept bleating up and down the shore, looking for mom.

This group was done for the day.

Then it was time to pack as we all had to leave the ship early in the morning. The crew would quickly turn the boat around, and our guides, after dropping us at the airport, would pick up the next week's group. Quite the operation.

As I work my way back through the week, I'll try to spend some time with the islands -- they are the most remarkable place I have ever seen, and I'm serious about getting back. But I also want to cover a variety of topics, more than just the daily itinerary. I hope you enjoy the sounds, animals, geology, history, people, and conservation of the enchanted islands.


No comments: