Unfortunately, the trip was not to be. I could not find an agency that had a trip scheduled for that week, meaning that I could attach myself to whatever group was traveling. Given that, I only found one willing to take me on my own, and it would cost a small fortune to do it. Considering that I understand how much these trips cost whether traveling as a Quiteño or traveling as a foreign tourist, even though this was vacation, I just couldn't justify this "special consideration." I looked at other options too, but nothing was really appealing. There were nearly daily trips to two other local sites -- Otavalo and Quilotoa -- but I'd been to Otavalo and didn't want to go back just to do the big market and I didn't think my knee would hold up for the hike into the Quilotoa crater and back up, and riding a horse back up was not high on my list. So I went to do some shopping and find some lunch.
Oswaldo Guayasamín is probably Ecuador's most famous artist. I like his work very much. My hotel had his work in the lobby and on every floor, which was lovely. The lighting was awful with my little camera, but here's one example.
This was my hotel. I didn't really want to stay in Mariscal, but it proved to be a good option. While this was expensive, it also afforded peace-of-mind, and considering where I had been....
There was a big photo exhibit throughout the city, which was great fun to stumble upon and see. About half a dozen of these two-sided placards were right there in Plaza Foch.
No problem if you don't have internet wherever you are -- just pop into one of these places, which are all over.
The Ecovía station closest to me, on December 6 Street.
For the afternoon, I went back to Yanapuma, to say hello to my professors. I had a lovely chat with Vinicio, and waited for the break when both Fernanda and Olga would be free for a few minutes. We decided to meet at 6 when they were done, to have a coffee and humitas before they headed home for the evening. I perused the new information at the school -- Vinicio's done a ton to add "museum" to the classrooms, and talk about the different indigenous cultures of Ecuador (tribute to me, he says!) -- as I was curious about how the travel and volunteer programs had grown. And surprise! There's a volunteer program now in Galápagos which I'll have to look into.... But, long story short, now that I had more time in Quito, I also had more time on my own, and part of the point was immersion. Add to that how much I enjoyed being back at the school, and so I decided to become a student again! It would only be four half-days, but I thought this was a great way to fill my mornings and force me to practice more. Best part, Olga would be my teacher again!
Yanapuma has the second and third floors of this building. The foundation is on 2, the school on 3. I'd forgotten about all those stairs..... They are tough at altitude.
After class on Tuesday I decided to go to Yaku, the Museum of Water. Juan Carlos had recommended it, and I'd read about it too. Part children's museum, part history museum, it was also supposed to have spectacular views of the city. Of course, it's hard to get to, but thankfully my cab driver agreed that it wasn't an easy (or good) part of town for getting a cab, so he would return for me at closing. That settled, I had a couple of hours to explore.
Yaku comes from the Quechua and means water. It's really a fabulous place. It's built in the El Placer neighborhood, where the first water treatment plant for the city was sited. The museum uses the same buildings to highlight the process, and a video talks to some of the original workers. Story is that Huayna Capac, the Inka Emperor, was here once upon a time. The new facility is actually nearby.


This is me making bubbles in the burbuyas section. I think the little girl's dad had more fun than I did, but otherwise, it was close.

This was cool. These panels were color-coded questions and answers all about water.

Also in the Planet Water section was this sweet video about the cycle of water. Then there were hands-on exhibits about the atmosphere, lithosphere, etc. It was very kid-friendly, and the content was very accessible for those without Ph.D.s in hydrology.
Outside, there was more. A house made from recycled materials and showcasing green practices (closed though). Fountains that people could run through. Walkways and paths to explore, which I did for the greater part of an hour. And stunning, incomparable views. This site is across the valley, on the Pichincha side, from Itchimbía Park.
This is the Panecillo, which I'd visited last time. And if my camera battery hadn't died, the later photos would have showed the great volcano Cotopaxi just a bit to the left of the Panecillo, as the skies cleared for a few and its beautiful snowy white top became visible. Drat. But it was gorgeous! I looked and looked and looked.
More beautiful views. Below is the Basilica, which I also visited last time and climbed into the clock towers.
A quiet evening awaited me, including a rare dinner alone, but I also had homework to do, and was trying to coordinate plans with Jen and Roxana. Class the next morning was good, and I decided to grab a quick lunch at the little restaurant in the building. I remembered it being not very expensive but pretty solid. I picked the wrong day however.
Even though I got to see some Olympics, which was fun, I'd misunderstood the menu. I thought she said 'cerdo' but she said 'cuero.' Not at all the same thing. Instead of pork, I had skin. I tried, but I couldn't finish it. (Actually, that's not uncommon. Something with the altitude I think, but I often have trouble finishing my meals there.)
For the evening, I was meeting one of my new friends from the boat, Roxana, who was the wellness specialist aboard. She had just finished her rotation and was back at home in Quito. She was coming at 6 so that we could have dinner and then go to the symphony. There was a free concert that evening at the House of Culture featuring both the National Symphony and the Guayaquil Symphony. So beforehand I managed some exercise (Jazzercise at 9200 feet, mostly). Although I walk a lot, and the altitude is its own workout, I was feeling rather lazy of late.
It was so lovely to see Roxana, and despite our parking adventure, it was a wonderful evening. The concert was phenomenal. Because this was part of the bicentennial celebrations, it was free! Also because, it started with Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture (2012-200=1812....). I counted 11 cellos and 10 basses. The first part was with the National Symphony conductor and the second with the Guayaquil conductor. That part was fun, as it featured a well-known Ecuadorian singer -- Darío García -- and popular Ecuadorian music. Roxana knew it all and sang along with the rest of the audience. Interesting, he is in a wheelchair, and I heard that before this administration (meaning President Correa and his reforms), Sr. García was not allowed to sing in public; people with disabilities were basically invisible in society. So another positive change. And another wonderful day.
Free! Really fantastic evening. The first part of the program was largely by Ecuadorian composers, and the encore was an orchestral version of a song about Quito. Great fun!!











No comments:
Post a Comment